Sunday, February 24, 2013

Meagan Memorial

I went on an 8 day retreat last Fall that was all about grief, loss, recovery, and learning tools and skills to help cope. One of the conclusions I came to was that I wanted a special place to remember and honor Meagan. Although I have a special place for her cremated remains in our home, it does not work as a safe, contained space where one can grieve. Cemeteries serve that purpose well, and after lots of looking and thinking I secured a lovely cremation burial plot at Lake View Cemetery on Capitol Hill here in Seattle. It looks east, with views of the Cascades, Mt. Baker, and our home in Laurelhurst.

But how to mark the spot? Fortunately I came across an artist and designer of monuments who works in fused glass. We have come up with a fantastic design for a monument which is unique and quite fitting for Meagan. It won't be finished until probably around May. I'l have it installed, then a simple ceremony to inter her ashes at the site. I'll definitely let everyone know when it's complete, and will do a party to celebrate. But I'll not provide any directions to the actual location of the burial plot. The monument itself will be quite distinctive and anyone going to the cemetery will be able to find it quite easily if they know anything at all about Meagan.

I'll write more later about the importance of ritual in my grief process. Especially for guys, physical acts are important. I do grief support and group therapy. But it's not for every guy. I'm looking forward to the ritual of visiting her gravesite, and remembering her, honoring her, and grieving.

No comments:

Post a Comment